How to Setup Expressvpn on Apple TV
ExpressVPN for Apple TV
The Apple TV is the go-to streaming box for any Apple device users including those for iPads, iPhones and every the famed Apple iPod. The only issue is that except for a few select regions the Apps installed on the Apple TV may not work due to regional geo-restriction outside the country of sale.
This means that an Apple TV device bought from USA, UK, Canada, Australia and few selected countries of Europe will not work if accessed from any non-compliant countries. Generally, the solution to avoid being blocked &geo-restricted is using an Apple TV VPN. ExpressVPN is also such an Apple TV VPN service allowing you to unblock apps and service using the streaming box from anywhere in the world. (Read detailed Expressvpn Review here)
How to Setup ExpressVPN on Apple TV
VPN cannot be setup directly onto an Apple TV device and requires you to manually configure your VPN connection service details & require a server on your router or modem. While detailed FAQs to setup routers for AppleTV devices are available on the brilliant ExpressVPN support page, here is a simple step by step process to help you out.
- Configure ExpressVPN on your router
- Go to either IPLocation or WhatIsMyIP
- Make sure the Apple TV device is turned off and not connected to the WI-FI
- Once your router is configured connect the Apple TV to the WI-FI
- You should now be able to access all blocked apps depending on the VPN server connected
How to Use Express VPN on Apple TV without Router
In case you are unsure about configuring your router, there is an easier way to setup ExpressVPN for Apple TV devices. AirPlay or Screen Mirroring is available on all Apple TV devices allowing you to broadcast what’s on your Mac, iPad, iPhone and iPod screens with a swipe.
To activate AirPlay on Apple TV, follow these steps:
- Go to your Apple TV Settings >AirPlay>and click ON
- Make sure your Apple TV and Apple device (Mac, iPhone, iPad or iPod) is connected to the same Wi-Fi
- On the bottom of your Apple device go to the Control Center > then tap AirPlay
- Your Apple TV device will show in the next list, tap it
- Tap on the Mirroring option, your Apple TVscreen should show the content on your devices
Now, you will be required to install ExpressVPN on your Apple device (apps are available for both Mac & iOS devices). To download the app for all your devices simply visit ExpressVPN’s support section on the official website. Apps for Android &iOS can although be downloaded through the Google Play and AppleApp stores directly, but an account will be required to access them.
How To Use ExpressVPN On Apple TV 4th Generation
ExpressVPN offers innate support for setting up niche devices in a far better manner than other VPN providers. If it doesn’t have a dedicated VPN client still for the device, it will provide a dedicated setup guide to make the process as streamlined as possible.
Similarly, ExpressVPN offers great support for setting it up on your Apple TV 4th Generation device. Here is this guide explained in step by step form below:
- To do this you need to register your unique DDNS hostname. A third party service works best for this purpose
- Dynu is a service through which you can register this unique DDNS hostname and its highly streamlined and easy to use. We are using it for reference here, but you are free to choose whatever service you deem the best for this task
- Register an account with Dynu.com. Signup is free so you wont encounter any major steps other than entering your relevant sign up details like your email address
- Go to your email account and verify the Dynu account you just created by clicking on the verification link provided in an email sent to you
- You will have your Dynu account’s username and password. Use it to log in to your Dynu account
- Now proceed to Control Panel > DDNS Services
- Here you will see a blue button on the top right corner saying “Add” click on this
- Now you will be presented with two options i.e. either “Use our domain Name” in which you can use any name you want for identifying your DDNS server with or enter your existing domain name (If you have one beforehand). Select any one depending on your present by clicking/tapping on “Add”
- Disable the default “Wildcard Alias” option and select “Enable IPV6 Address” and then click on “Save”
- Your Dynu account is now validated and you can proceed further
- Now to go to ExpressVPN.com and log in to your user account
- Choose the option for “DNS Settings” from the top bar
- Find the option for “Dynamic DNS Registration” by scrolling down. Now click on it and enter the new hostname you just created with Dynu.com
- If you already had an existing domain name, enter it directly here but if you opted for the option of “Use our Domain Name” at Dynu, then you will need to enter this hostname by putting the suffix “.Dynu.com”.
- Save the hostname by clicking on the option for “Save Hostname”
- ExpressVPN will notify the new hostname registration with a new prompt that says “Updated”
- Now you need to go back to the main menu on ExpressVPN and then go to “My Subscription” by selecting from the top menu bar
- Select “Setup ExpressVPN” > “Apple TV”
- Now, you will be seeing a DNS server IP address appear in a box on the lower right corner of the page. Copy it somewhere as you will be needing it later on
- Launch your AppleTV
- Go to Settings > Network
- Click on “Ethernet” or “Wifi” option appearing on top of your screen
- Now click on “Configure DNS” > Manual
- You will now be seeing your current IP address on the screen, change it with the server IP address that you noted down from ExpressVPN.com
- Before you change the IP address, do note down the original one in case you need to revert back your settings to the original state
- Click on “Done”
- Now select “Settings” > “System”
- Tap on “Restart” as this will make your AppleTV move over to the new IP address
- Now you can easily bypass geo-restrictions on multiple sites and stay secure online with ExpressVN on yout AppleTV
ExpressVPN DNS On Apple TV
The primary method of setting up ExpressVPN on Apple TV, irrespective of the generation of the device you are currently using, is through manually changing the IP address via a domain name server configuration process. The setup guide on how to accomplish this with ease is mentioned above in detail.
ExpressVPN Apple TV FAQs:
What Is a Mediastreamer?
A Mediastreamer is a device that can allow you to play anything from music to videos to movies and other forms of media that is stored outside the device. These kind of devices are becoming increasingly popular due to the incredible access they provide to users of much greater libraries of media files than they could possibly store on natural storage devices.
What Is a Dynamic DNS Services?
A DDNS or a dynamic DNS service allows your computer to easily change or swap IP addresses making it a whole lot easier for you to access multiple websites without any interruptions. Static DNS is not suitable for powering the kind of seamless internet connectivity that users are now demanding and have become accustomed to.
How Do I change The DNS Settings On My Apple TV?
Changing your DNS settings on Apple TV is not difficult at all. Here’s how you can do it too within minutes:
- From the main menu of your Apple TV, click on the Settings icon.
- Launch on your Apple TV and click on General > Network
- Click on either “Wifi” or “Ethernet” depending on what type of an internet connection you are using with your Apple TV at the moment
- Now click on Network > DNS > Manual
- Enter the DNS address you wish to change to from the current one being presented on your screen. But do note the original one down in case you need to revert back to the original settings
- Just click “Done” and you are now using your Apple TV through a different IP Address
Unblock Apple TV Netflix App with ExpressVPN
If you missed it, Netflix has now created a local regional portal for more than 200 countries. This means you will not have access to the US & UK Netflix libraries from your region anymore. While most VPN provider servers & IP addresses have been blacklisted by Netflix, ExpressVPN remains one of the few that still allow unblocking the Apple TV Netflix app.
This can again be done in three different ways:
- Configuring your router with a US ExpressVPN server and using the Apple TV Netflix app
- Unblock the Netflix app directly on your iOS device by connecting to the iOS ExpressVPN app
Install ExpressVPN app on your Mac, connect to a US server, access the Netflix website from your browser and mirror the screen to Apple TV.
Must Read: Torrent Download