ExpressVPN for Apple TV
The Apple TV is the go to streaming box for any Apple device users including those for iPads, iPhones and every the famed Apple iPod. The only issue is that except for a few select regions the Apps installed on the Apple TV may not work due to regional geo-restriction outside the country of sale.
This means that an Apple TV device bought from USA, UK, Canada, Australia and few selected countries of Europe will not work if accessed from any non-compliant countries. Generally the solution to avoid being blocked &geo-restricted is using an Apple TV VPN. ExpressVPN is also such an Apple TV VPN service allowing you to unblock apps and service using the streaming box from anywhere in the world. (Read detailed Expressvpn Review here)
How to Setup ExpressVPN on Apple TV
VPN cannot be setup directly onto an Apple TV device and requires you to manually configure your VPN service details & require server on your router. While detailed FAQs to setup routers for AppleTV devices are available on the brilliant ExpressVPN support page, here is a simple step by step process to help you out.
- Configure ExpressVPN on your router
- Go to either IPLocation or WhatIsMyIP
- Make sure the Apple TV device is turned off and not connected to the WI-FI
- Once your router is configured connect the Apple TV to the WI-FI
- You should now be able to access all blocked apps depending on the VPN server connected
How to Use Express VPN on Apple TV without Router
In case you are unsure about configuring your router, there is an easier way to setup ExpressVPN for Apple TV devices. AirPlay or Screen Mirroring is available on all Apple TV devices allowing you to broadcast what’s on your Mac, iPad, iPhone and iPodscreens with a swipe.
To activate AirPlay on Apple TV, follow these steps:
- Go to your Apple TV Settings >AirPlay>and click ON
- Make sure your Apple TV and Apple device (Mac, iPhone, iPad or iPod) is connected to the same Wi-Fi
- On the bottom of your Apple device go to the Control Center > then tap AirPlay
- Your Apple TV device will show in the next list, tap it
- Tap on the Mirroring option, your Apple TVscreen should show the content on your devices
Now, you will be required to install ExpressVPN on your Apple device (apps are available for both Mac & iOS devices). To download the app for all your devices simply visit ExpressVPN’s support section on the official website. Apps for Android &iOS can although be downloaded through the Google Playand AppleApp stores directly, but an account will be required to access them.
Unblock Apple TV Netflix App with ExpressVPN
If you missed it, Netflix has now created a local regional portal for more than 200 countries. Thus means you will not have access to the US & UK Netflix libraries from your region anymore. While most VPN provider servers & IP addresses have been blacklisted by Netflix, ExpressVPN remains one of the few that still allow unblockingthe Apple TV Netflix app.
This can again be done in three differentways:
- Configuring your routerwith a US ExpressVPN server and using the Apple TV Netflix app
- Unblock the Netflix app directly on your iOS device by connecting to the iOS ExpressVPN app
Install ExpressVPN app on your Mac, connect to a US server, access the Netflix website from your browser and mirror the screen to Apple TV.